Friday, January 26, 2007

The FOUR letter word of toddlerhood

"Mine"..."MINE"...."MINE!!!!!!!!"
It's an evil word, and I hate it with a passion. A terrible passion. I remember when Olivia learned it for the first time. Sorry Angie, but it was with Delaney and Maddy. And I was full of resentment, but at that time I just couldn't understand. Well, now I do. Olivia has passed the torch to her baby brother. Very early! I don't think Olivia learned it this early, she was closer to two years old. Deagan is 16 months, just 16 months. And now he knows that terrible four letter word and uses it in the right context. Terrible. Just terrible. I can't blame it all on Olivia...Poppie helped facilitate it as well...helping Deagan learn to stick up for himself. But it's not as cute as one might think. The little guy will grab something (of his) with avengence(sp?), pull his arm back as to guard it, bend those eyebrows down viciously and say, "MY!" That's right, he doesn't quite say MINE, he says MY. It's adorable. It's terrible. It's a fact of life, and all you new mothers out there....just wait, it's coming.

2 comments:

Madelyn said...

HA! Sorry I have to laugh. At least now you can stop blaming my kids for that one. For now you know they didn't create that evil word - it was in the dictionary before they were born. They learned it from someone else, too;) If only we could contol everything they hear, those crazy little sponges!!! Just wait... worse 4-letter-words are coming, like the one a little boy uses on the bus all the time...

Anonymous said...

So we have yet to enter that wonderful word of "mine" but I have to say the wet noodle, drama stage, is a pretty bad aspect of toddlerhood as well. Alas I have learned drama queen is not related to the girls, why there is all the 'princess/prince' stuff out there encouraging it is beyond me (sorry will get off the soap box).