Monday, January 29, 2007

A Catastrophe of Epic Proportions

So, on top of many, many other things this terrible morning, I had a catastrophe of epic proportions.
I try, whenever my patience will allow, to include Olivia in my 'chores' and teach her how to do things for herself. Her favorite things are setting the table, sometimes clearing the table, mopping/vacuuming, putting things away, laundry, dusting...blah blah blah the simple things.
So this weekend we were picking up and sorting all of the laundry around the house. I asked her to gather all of the pink things (considering 95% of the child's wardrobe is pink, it's easy). So she got everything loaded into the basket and placed in the hall outside of the laundry room. Great:) What a help, right?
Well, not so much. So I did a dark load, then loaded the pink load. Yes, it sat there in the washing machine waiting to go into the dryer all night. This morning I went to switch out the loads and opened the washer to see the grossest thing I might have seen as a parent (well, maybe this week anyway).
There were little clear gel pellets all over EVERYTHING in the washer. What the heck is that?...yeah, that's what I was thinking. Odd and Gross. So I fished around and pulled out a few things, and then I found it....
A PULL UP HAD GONE THROUGH THE WASHING MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It must have been wrapped up in a pair of her PJ's and she didn't see it. I sure didn't see it. And it was nasty.
If you've had kids in the last ten years or so, you know the gel pellets I'm talking about. When I diaper gets super-soaker full it dissinegrates into these little tiny pellet-like things.
Well, never had I washed one in the washing machine. It's the biggest mess I've ever seen. It's all over everything. Inside and Out. I had to wash the clothes again, dry them and then wash them again. Nasty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uggh!! I was waiting for the pink-got-in-the-whites finish to the story! Either way - ick ;)